Sunday, September 20, 2009

Ankle, Knee and thoughts

Hi Everybody,

Day 6 of 90 on the PCP.

Well my week has been going fairly well. Limiting my food intake has been interesting. At first, I thought it would be the toughest part of the week. Seems like past injuries have taken over.

After the first few days, all my joints hurt me...saying "OMG what the H". They had to remind me that I am closer to 50 than 40 YO. As I completed Day 6 I have to remember back why I feel sore. It's not the quads...its not the calves..nor arms. Joints...let it be joints for Denise.

In 1997, softball got the best of me one day. Playing in a competitive co-ed team, I slid into 3rd and heard some pops. 3 to be exact. Really did not know what that was, until I couldn't move. Drove home and next morning was at the ER with ankle and leg broken in 3 places. Time shift to 2006...training for 60 mile walk over 3 consecutive days (Susan G. Komen 3 Day Breast Cancer walk). I had decided that a Boot camp would be a great form of strength and stamina training I need to do this. OMG....I got into shape. Hopping up stairs, bear crawls in the morning mud in humid Houston was nothing when it came to leap frogging over adults. Pop again.....this time it was the right knee. Swollen and sore I just took it in stride.....until I needed to run across a busy street. MADE IT. But it really "popped". Dr visit was next.....torn ACL and he did not want me to do the walk. I was determined....people counting on me and I made a promise to my mom...a breast cancer survivor..... So surgery was done with less than 3 months before the walk. I could not train until 2 weeks before the 3Day. I thought...If I could do a back to back 17 mile/day, I could walk 60. Yup. Walked 60 miles over 3 days.....every mile....with the help of a walking stick. Whew.......

So.....fast forward 2009. PCP. Jumping rope does not fair well with the injured ankle and knee. I chant "Advil and Ice are my friends......A&I are my friends.....&%$#*".




4 comments:

  1. Good job Denise.

    You perform your exercises stronger and with more stamina than me. Awesome, keep at it, but safely. Injuries are things we will deal with for the rest of our lives, but we can prevent future injuries. So good to see your jumpropes getting better. I still can't quite figure out how to do them and breathe evenly.

    Off to get some advil and ice for us, that sounds perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was right there with you! For the longest time the jump ropes just killed my knees. It would take me an hour of RICE (Rest, Ice, Compress, Elevate) and ibuprofen in order for me to even walk afterwards -- and lots of ibuprofen to even manage through the day!

    Eventually my body repaired and strengthened itself and I have no more pain in my knees after the ropes.

    You're doing great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. E,

    Thanks for the words of encouragement. You know when you have injured yourself, you have a tendency to be protective of it. I'll keep on plugging thru it. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The good news is that of all those activities you mentioned jumpropes will be the least impact and safest. As the surrounding muscles get strong you'll feel like you're wearing natural braces all the time and eventually I hope you'll trust your legs again!

    ReplyDelete