Sunday, November 8, 2009

Day 55 - twirling

When I first started jumping rope, I was sore hurt and uncoordinated. Knees took a beating...not sure why but maybe it was due to the movement of the skipping. Can't remember how long ago I last jumped rope....wasn't even good at it when I was a nappy headed kid growing up in PA.

So I bought a new rope. The one being used was a 9' black leather. When I purchased it, I did not realize that there is a science to a proper fit. Proper length, ball bearings for better movement, material is important (speed rope made of plastic, leather or beaded),etc. After reading and searching for ropes (hard to find locally....praise the Internet for a multitude of choices), I found a Harbinger beaded rope. It's black and blue (some BA colours) and adjustable in length. First thing with a new toy is to rip it out of the box, and use it. I did that last night. OMG.....not what I expected. I could not skip more than 10 times. I felt like I was stooping over to get the rope past my head....then I was so worried about it I could not get my feet to go upwards over the rope.........oooppppsss....stumble. Dammit...I threw it down ( the end caps came off of it), and picked up the ol' 9'. Did my 3 mins X 5 . (Rocky Balboa with his arms raised on the top of Museum steps.. da da daaaaa da da daaaaaaa...)

3 comments:

  1. That's funny! I'm sure that stupid new rope was defective. :-)

    Glad you're making peace with the old rope. Way to do it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. sounds like the rope was too short? Those speed ropes will make a huge difference if you can get used to them. Give it another go!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The beaded ropes seem so strange to me and I'm not sure why. Loving my leather rope -- third purchase was the charm!

    Whatever works, right? You were having a rough go of it at first -- look how far you've come! Awesome!!

    ReplyDelete